Budget 2016 committed $500 million until 2021, for a new program to extend and enhance broadband service in rural and remote communities. To deliver on this commitment, the Government of Canada launched the CTI program on December 15, 2016. The program will drive transformative change by bringing high-quality broadband connections into underserved rural and remote communities. Canadians living in these communities will benefit from faster Internet speeds needed to keep pace with changing technology and the growing demand of new applications and services, including e-commerce, tele-medicine and e-learning.
- A corporation, either for profit or not for profit that is incorporated in Canada
- A Canadian provincial, territorial or municipal entity
- A band council within the meaning of section 2 of the Indian Act or an Indigenous government authority established by a Self-Government Agreement or a Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement
- A public-sector body that is established by statute or by regulation or is wholly owned by a province, municipal or regional government which provides services to communities
- A partnership, joint venture or consortium that is composed of parties identified above
- Builds, owns and operates broadband infrastructure
- Enters into a contractual arrangement with an entity identified above to build, own and operate broadband infrastructure
The CTI program supports projects that must be completed by March 31, 2021. The core emphasis of CTI is on transformative high-capacity backbone connectivity, with additional eligibility for backbone capacity upgrades, resiliency projects, and last-mile oriented connectivity projects.
Eligible costs under the CTI program are the incremental, relevant, reasonable and essential expenses required to carry out the eligible activities to which they relate. Eligible costs will be capital costs for the deployment of broadband infrastructure, such as purchases of hardware and software, equipment, leases of satellite capacity, salaries and benefits, and fees for associated contracted services related to the build of the network.
Deadline: Currently closed. Future deadline April 2018.
Contact: Connecting Canadians Branch | 1-800-328-6189 | email@example.com