The CASBE program is a partnership we have with the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) to fund collaborations between Alberta SMEs and researchers from Alberta post-secondary institutions.
We offer two streams of funding to help Alberta SMEs adopt emerging technologies developed with the support of researchers.
CASBE is open to academics from Campus Alberta and they must have at least ONE Alberta SME as an industry partner.
Researchers eligibility follows NSERC eligibility criteria with the addition that the CASBE Program is only available to Alberta academics helping Alberta SMEs developing solutions aligned to priority areas identified above.
To qualify, an applicant:
- must meet eligibility criteria for NSERC Engage, ARD or Alliance programs,
- demonstrate the relationship between the applicant and industry partner does not create a conflict of interest, and
- the industry partner must have a physical presence in Alberta.
To qualify as an industry partner for Stream I and II, at least one SME as industry partner is required. The SME must:
- be a for-profit, with at least two full-time employees, and fewer than 500 full-time employees,
- have less than $50,000,000 annual gross revenue,
- demonstrate the relationship between the applicant and industry partner does not create a conflict of interest,
- have a physical presence in Alberta,
- be a legal entity:
- incorporated in Alberta, or
- incorporated federally or in another jurisdiction AND extra-provincially registered in Alberta, or
- a General Partnership, Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership AND registered in Alberta, and
- be in good financial standing with Alberta Innovates and its subsidiaries InnoTech Alberta and C-Fer Technologies.
To qualify for funding all projects must:
- meet NSERC’s eligibility criteria,
- align with any of the emerging technologies priorities listed in this program guide,
- have at least one Alberta SME as industry partner,
- be stepped with a critical milestone in the form of a midyear presentation,
- be completed within the one or two-year term, and
- submit to other criteria that Alberta Innovates may develop from time to time.
- Stream I with a maximum of $25, 000 in available funding from Alberta Innovates and $25,000 from NSERC, and
- Stream II with a maximum of $150,000 in available funding from Alberta Innovates leveraging NSERC’s contribution for for a maximum of two years for a total of $300,000.
Deadline DateFirst come, first-serve basis. This is a continuous intake program and we will continue to accept applications until the 2020-21 budget is exhausted. The total for 2021-22 is $2.3 M CDN .
Contact Name: Marlene Huerta (Principal Business Advisor - Post-Secondary Investments & Emerging Technologies)
Phone Number: 780-450-5034
E-mail Address: Marlene.Huerta@albertainnovates.ca