Value$200,001 up to $4,000,000 CAD awarded to successful applicants. A total of $20,000,000 CAD is available.
The Carbon Fibre Grand Challenge (‘CFGC’) is a $26 million three-phase competition with the objective of accelerating the development of large-scale production pathways for short and continuous carbon fibre from bitumen-derived feedstocks and promoting their use in manufactured products.
Applicant teams must meet the following requirements:
- Team qualification requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to modify bitumen-based feeds
- Demonstrated ability to prepare carbon fibre (> 10 grams per day)
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate carbon fibre end use application
- General Requirements:
- Canadian IP ownership or guaranteed ability to license to Canadian entities
- Spinoff companies are not required
- Proposal Requirements:
- Have a proposed carbon fibre manufacturing process.
- Preliminary energy requirements for the manufacturing process.
- Potential end uses identified.
To qualify for funding, all Projects must:
- Align with the objectives of the Carbon Fibre Grand Challenge Phase III;
- Be structured with well-defined objectives, milestones, deliverables, and timelines to meet the Phase III targeted outcomes.
- Be completed by August 31, 2026.
- Any project that does not involve the production of carbon fibre from an Alberta bitumen derived feed will be immediately disqualified and not reviewed.
Deadline DatePhase III: Applications will open on May 15, 2023 until June 26, 2023. Program resources coming soon.
Contact Name: Paolo Bomben, PhD (Senior Manager, Clean Technology Development - Clean Energy)
Phone Number: 587-779-2917
E-mail Address: Paolo.Bomben@albertainnovates.ca