Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants Program provides services to help immigrants find skilled employment in B.C. that uses the education and experience they bring to Canada. Customized to participant needs, including support specific to in-demand occupations.
The program has three streams
You may be able to upgrade your skills and credentials through one of Career Path’s three streams:
Stream 1: You have education and experience in an in-demand occupation in B.C. and require language or skill upgrading.
Stream 2: You need assistance with upgrading your credentials for an occupation regulated in B.C.
Stream 3: You need assistance with upgrading for an unregulated B.C. occupation.
You may be eligible for Career Paths if you:
- became a permanent resident of Canada within the last five years
- are certified in a profession, trade or skilled occupation from your home country or have a minimum of three years of work experience in a profession, trade or high-skill occupation prior to coming to Canada. If you are between the ages of 19 to 30 years old, you only need a minimum of one year of work experience in a profession, trade or high skill occupation prior to coming to Canada.
- have an intermediate to advanced level of English language proficiency
- are unemployed and not receiving Employment Insurance or BC Employment Assistance OR are working in a job that is not in your field
Stream 1: In-Demand Occupations
Stream 1 may provide you with specialized support to obtain employment. Under this stream you may receive up to 22 months of support to help you reach your employment goal. Support may include:
- career counselling specific to your occupation
- support to get recertification education (where relevant)
- English language training specific to your occupation, if you do not meet the language standards of your industry
specific supports that employers in your field have told us will help you succeed in B.C.
Stream 2: Regulated Occupations
Under Stream 2, you may be supported to explore an alternative career. Support may include:
- individual career coaching and help with building an action plan
- financial support for upgrading your skills, including language training
- help with preparing for exams
- other support required to help you succeed in B.C.
Stream 3: Unregulated Occupations
Stream 3 may assist you to find employment in any unregulated occupation if your current occupation is not practiced in B.C., the demand is low or your qualifications are not recognized. Under Stream 3 you may receive up to 11 months of support to reach your employment goal. Support may include:
- individual career coaching and help building an action plan
- financial support for upgrading (including language training)
Contact Name: Government of British Columbia
Phone Number: 250-952-6914 or 1-877-952-6914 (toll-free)