ValueThis request for proposals will provide up to $6 million per project for a total of up to $59 million to eligible organizations over a maximum of five years.
The new Climate Action and Awareness Fund will invest $206 million over five years to support Canadian-made projects that help to reduce Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions. The Climate Action and Awareness Fund is designed to support projects that can create middle class jobs for Canadians who work in science and technology, academia and at the grassroots community level. These projects are critical as we continue to build a sustainable net zero emissions economy by 2050.
The Climate Action and Awareness Fund has three main priorities:
- support youth climate awareness (request for proposals – closed summer 2020) and community-based climate action (request for proposals – closed fall 2020)
- support climate research at Canadian think tanks and in academia (request for proposals – spring/summer 2021)
- advance climate science and technology (request for proposals – now open until June 10 2021)
To be eligible for funding under this request for proposals (advance climate science and technology), lead applicants must be one of the following:
- universities and other academic institutions;
- not-for-profit non-government organizations (NGO, e.g., environmental community groups); or
- Indigenous organizations
Lead applicants are responsible for submitting their proposal through the Grants and Contributions Enterprise Management System, and for negotiating and signing a Funding Agreement, if selected. Lead applicants are encouraged to consider collaborative proposals and partner with other academic institutions or organizations, including federal, provincial, territorial, or municipal government partners.
The minimum project funding request is $100,000 and the maximum is $6 million. Organizations requesting funding between $100,000 up to $500,000 must spend funds over one to two fiscal years, starting in 2020-2021. Organizations requesting over $500,000 up to $6 million must complete their project within five years of the signed Funding Agreement.
Funding for the Climate Action and Awareness Fund comes from two existing programs:
- Environmental Damages Fund – provides a mechanism for directing funds received as a result of fines, court orders, and voluntary payments to priority projects that will benefit Canada’s natural environment
- Climate Action Fund – has awarded up to $3 million per year to support innovative ideas that raise awareness and build capacity for action that contributes to Canada’s clean growth and climate change plan, the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change.
Deadline DateOpen and closes.
Contact Name: Environment and Natural Resources
E-mail Address: email@example.com