Joint Initiative for Digital Citizen Research supports the goals of the Government of Canada’s approach to protecting democracy and the Digital Citizen Initiative.
The purpose of this funding is to:
- promote Canadian research that will develop better understanding — based on empirical evidence — of the impacts of online disinformation in Canada in order to better inform programs and policies;
- build Canada’s capacity to conduct research on and related to countering online disinformation and other related online harms; and
- help foster a community of research in the digital citizenship and online disinformation space in Canada.
- Insight Grants: open to individual researchers and research teams affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution working in 1 or more of the target areas of interest. Insight Grants provide funding to conduct research related to online disinformation and other online harms as well as their impact in the Canadian context.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship supplements: available to SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship holders who are affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution and are working in 1 or more of the target areas of interest.
- Doctoral Award supplements: available to holders of Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program — Doctoral Scholarships or SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships who are affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution and are working in 1 or more of the target areas or interest.
- Connection Grants: open to institutions, individual applicants and teams. They provide funding to selected events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and engage on research issues related to online disinformation and other related online harms as well as their impact in the Canadian context.
For more detailed information, please click the links:
Contact Name: Department of Canadian Heritage
Phone Number: 1-866-811-0055 (toll-free)