ValueCAAIN is dedicating $5 Million to projects in this Open Call.
The 2023 Canadian Agri-Food Automation and Intelligence Network (CAAIN) 2023 Open Call has been developed to foster technological advances in agri-food production, and environmental sustainability. This program will support research and innovation designed to generate solutions leading to enhanced production efficiency including the adoption of automation such as implementation of robotics and automation, data-based decision making, and validation of new technologies through smart farms. The competition is categorized into the following broad topic areas:
- Agricultural production and efficiency, food safety, and quality
- Technology that utilizes data to measure and increase carbon capture
- Technology that reduces GHG emissions
- Technology that impacts land, soil health, water, and air quality
- The project team must include at least two small or medium enterprises (SME) incorporated in Canada. SMEs are defined by Statistics Canada as businesses with 499 or fewer employees.
- CAAIN will reimburse projects up to 40% of the Total Eligible Supported Expenses to a maximum of $1.0 Million.
- A financial (cash) contribution must be committed by at least two SMEs from the project team.
- In-kind contributions are not eligible for matching reimbursement by CAAIN but are considered to be important indicators of team commitment and likelihood of success. Relevant contributions should be assessed at fair market value and recorded in the application and during the course of the project.
- The initiative must be incremental to the regular business of project team members in that:
- Financial commitments are distinct from investments that would have otherwise occurred; and
- The project is new or would not be undertaken at the same scope or scale without the support of CAAIN funding.
- All funded projects are subject to a CAAIN administration fee equal to 4% of the total eligible supported expenses. These fees will be deducted from each approved claim prior to reimbursement.
- Diverse project teams involving multiple stakeholders is encouraged. All project partners must be academic institutions, not-for-profit organizations, or companies legally entitled to do business in Canada. CAAIN funding can only flow to entities entitled to conduct business in Canada.
- Applicants must demonstrate how their project will provide significant public benefit (economic, employment-related, social, and/or environmental) during development and following completion of the project.
Crop type and species eligible for this competition include cereal and grain crops, forage crops, fruit crops, oil seed crops (excluding hemp) and vegetable crops. Animal species eligible for this competition include bovine (beef and dairy cattle, bison), porcine, poultry, ovine, caprine, bees and alternate livestock species (elk, deer, moose), and production of their primary products.
Secondary food products, packaging, sensory science, genomics, and traditional breeding methods, CRISPR, and aquaculture are not eligible project topics for this competition.
Deadline DateEOI submission: June 5, 2023
Contact Name: CAAIN Program Managers
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org