ValueMaximum of $50,000
Other Business- Equipment to Improve Animal Handling supports projects that focuses on improving animal welfare in a measurable or proven way.
Commingling facilities, including assembly yards, sales barns, auction markets, fairs and exhibitions, trucking rest stations, transporters and veterinary clinics, that are interested in improving animal handling throughout an operation by implementing new practices and procedures.
Preference is currently given to projects that:
- Support sheep, goat, veal, beef cattle and farmed cervids
- Are located in areas with limited access to veterinary services areas (e.g., Northern Ontario)
Operational improvements for the purpose of reducing threats to animal welfare, including but not limited to:
- Equipment necessary to:
- Improve husbandry practices, such as castration, dehorning and euthanasia
- Facilitate humane handling methods or treatment procedures, such as chutes, head gates, herding or catching equipment
- Improve control of environmental conditions such as fans and heaters
- In-kind labour and equipment costs of up to $2,000 in cost-share
- One-time labour costs specifically required for the project, such as contract salaries, benefits and specific per diem fees (excluding existing full- or part-time staff)
- One-time costs for rental of facilities, processing equipment or machinery required specifically for the project