ValueGrant: Up to $500,000 to cover up to 50% of eligible costs. Municipalities and municipal partners with a population of 20,000 or under may qualify for a grant of up to 80 per cent of eligible project costs under certain conditions.
Our signature initiative funding helps Canadian cities and communities of all sizes pilot environmental projects that reduce GHG emissions and protect the air, water or land. This funding is designed to accommodate transformative, best-in-class municipal projects, meaning they’re highly innovative and impactful.
All Canadian municipal governments; Municipal partners applying in partnership with a municipal government.
Your pilot project may compare several options or assess one option’s capacity to create transformative change in the energy, transportation, waste, water or land use sector (or a combination of those sectors).
Signature initiatives do not have pre-set environmental targets/thresholds because the projects are unique and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We prefer projects that have built-in mechanisms to encourage replication and widespread adoption (e.g., innovative business models, partnership models, new financing mechanisms).
Examples of what you might pilot include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced, emerging and adaptive technologies
- Innovative financing mechanisms and business models (e.g., property assessed clean energy programs, innovative utility charges)
- Capacity building programs that generate direct environmental benefits (e.g., green job skills training)
- Projects and programs that generate environmental, economic and other benefits for the broader community
- Making it easier to implement environmental initiatives (e.g., clarifying policy change requirements; developing municipal bylaws such as a green procurement policy or private sector sustainability incentives)
- Enabling greater adoption of sustainable infrastructure (e.g., demonstrating new products such as shared electric autonomous vehicles, creating smart grid projects that enable more integration of renewable generation within the community)
Contact Name: Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM):
Phone Number: 1-877-417-0550
E-mail Address: email@example.com