ValueMaximum of $50,000
Processor – Construction, Modification or New Technologies to Improve Animal Housing supports projects that focused on improving animal welfare in a measurable or proven way. The program also supports projects on reducing biosecurity risks into, within, and out of high-risk areas of the operation, in a measurable or proven way (ventilation system only).
Abattoirs that are interested in improving animal housing throughout an operation with new construction, modifications to existing structures, or implementing new technologies within live animal receiving structures.
Abattoirs that are interested in preventing the introduction and spread of disease throughout an operation through the implementation of a ventilation (roof venting) system.
Preference is currently given to projects that:
- Support sheep, goat, veal, beef cattle and farmed cervids
- Are located in areas with limited access to veterinary services (e.g., Northern Ontario)
- Support provincially licensed abattoirs
Operational improvements for the purpose of reducing threats to animal welfare, including, but not limited to:
- New construction, modifications to existing structures, or implementation of new technologies to meet national biosecurity standards, national Codes of Practice for the care and handling of farm animals or a market-driven animal welfare program (e.g., North American Meat Institute Audit), such as:
- Watering systems
- New bedding or litter systems for lairage
- Systems to improve animal movements (e.g., chutes, head gates, slaughter restraint equipment)
- Ventilation (roof venting) systems *Also eligible as an operational improvement to prevent the introduction and spread of disease when supported by a biosecurity assessment
- Grooving or flooring
- Modular loading systems for poultry
- In-kind labour and equipment costs of up to $2,000 in cost-share
- One-time labour costs specifically required for the project, such as contract salaries, benefits and specific per diem fees (excluding existing full- or part-time staff)
- One-time costs for rental of facilities, processing equipment, or machinery required specifically for the project