ValueMaximum of $50,000
Processor – Equipment to Improve Animal Handling supports projects that focuses on improving animal welfare in a measurable or proven way.
Abattoirs that are interested in improving animal handling throughout an operation with new construction, modifications to existing structures, or implementing new technologies within live animal receiving structures.
Preference is currently given to projects that:
- Support sheep, goat, veal, beef cattle and farmed cervids
- Are located in areas with limited access to veterinary services (e.g., Northern Ontario)
Operational improvements for the purpose of reducing threats to animal welfare, including, but not limited to:
- Equipment necessary to:
- Facilitate humane handling methods, such as slaughter restraint
- Improve control of environmental conditions, such as fans and heaters, in live animal receiving and lairage
- Improve slaughter or euthanasia equipment, such as captive bolts, electrical stunning systems, or modified atmosphere systems (e.g. CO2 stunning)
- In-kind labour and equipment costs of up to $2,000 in cost-share
- One-time labour costs specifically required for the project, such as contract salaries, benefits and specific per diem fees (excluding existing full- or part-time staff)
- One-time costs for rental of facilities, processing equipment or machinery required specifically for the project