ValueMaximum of $20,000
Producer – Preventing Access by Trespassers, Wildlife, Pests and Rodents support projects that will focus on reducing biosecurity risks into, within, and out of high-risk areas of the operation, in a measurable or proven way.
Producers of all farmed animal species (including apiculture) who wish to prevent the introduction and spread of disease on farm through modifications to existing production areas and facilities and implementing practices and procedures to prevent access by wildlife, pests and rodents.
Preference is currently given to projects that support sheep, goat, veal, beef cattle and, farmed cervids.
Applicant must have completed:
- A farm-wide assessment against national biosecurity standards that supports need for the project
- This may be completed by the applicant or by a qualified third party, such as a licensed veterinarian
- Assessment requirements can be found at ontariosoilcrop.org
- An applicable Biosecurity Workshop or equivalent
Operational improvements as preventive measures to reduce the risk of the introduction and spread of disease, including:
- Installing or repairing screening, plastic curtains and soffits on barns or production facilities
- Applying gravel around perimeter of barns or production facilities (1 metre strip, 6 inches deep)
- Installing pest control devices or deterrents
- Purchase of equipment, new construction or modifications to existing facilities for freezing honey bee equipment or processing wax to mitigate introduction, spread and impact of pests and diseases, such as Small Hive Beetle
- In-kind contributions