Valueup to $15,000 and artist collectives may apply for up to $20,000. Total funding available for this program is $2 million.
This program is intended to provide one-time project funding to individual artists and artistic collectives in Calgary working in any artistic discipline who pursue a professional practice. This program is not open to arts administrators or cultural workers.
- Individual artists applying to this program must pursue a professional practice. We consider a professional artist to be an artist who is actively pursuing a career in the arts, and who has invested in the development of their artistic skills, voice, and goals.
- Professional artists may have formal or informal training. We value all ways of knowing, learning and developing an artistic practice.
- Professional artists have shared, or are actively striving to share, their work publicly and be compensated for their work.
- Professional artists have a relationship with their artistic communities and peers.
- Artists do not need to be working professionally in the arts full-time.
- We consider an artist collective to be two or more individual artists who work together in either an ongoing or ad hoc way, who have a shared artistic practice that is distinct from their own individual artistic practices. Collectives need to define their collective practice, vision, goals, and process in order to demonstrate that collective members have equal and shared ownership and accountability for the vision, success and completion of the proposed project or activities.
- A majority of collective members must be Calgary-based artists (i.e. 50% or more).
- An artist collective does not include for-profit organizations or businesses, groups that are formally registered as a non-profit society, or those which intend to govern themselves like a non-profit society.
Collaborations with Artists:
- We will consider applications from individuals who do not meet the definition of a professional artist or artist collective as long as they can demonstrate the below, and at the discretion of Calgary Arts Development staff:
- Artists are core collaborators or participants in the planning, development, and implementation of the project.
- The project and budget provides financial and non-financial support to artists.
- The applicant has a demonstrated history of working with artists and/or the arts sector.
Projects funded through this program must be completed by December 31, 2023.
Applicants may apply for the research, creation, development, production, presentation or dissemination of artistic work. Applicants may also apply for professional, business or artistic career development projects. Projects may include experimentation or development of new or adapted approaches to practice. They may also include cross-sector collaboration, creative economy and neighborhood level initiatives as well.
Deadline DateApplication Opens: March 14 - May 10, 2023.
Contact Name: Taylor Poitras, Program Specialist
Phone Number: 403.264.5330 ext.215.
E-mail Address: email@example.com