WINN is a $100 million five-year federal initiative that offers repayable contributions for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with operations in Western Canada, in order to help move their new and innovative technologies from the later stages of research and development to the marketplace. The intent of WINN is to promote the development and diversification of the western Canadian economy by providing financial support to qualified SMEs to help them accelerate the commercialization of innovative products, processes and services in Western Canada, and by stimulating greater private sector investment in western Canadian commercialization activities.
- For-profit businesses incorporated to conduct business in Canada
- Less than 500 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees (parents and subsidiaries included in final FTE count)
- Have been in operation for at least one year
- Have operating facilities located in Western Canada (defined as British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba)
- Have a viable plan to commercialize (i.e., generate revenues from sales) an innovative, technology-driven, new or improved product, service or process within three years of project commencement
- Have sufficient intellectual property rights to carry out the proposed project and to commercially exploit the results of the project
- Have provided a current business plan, that includes elements of the proposed project and recent financial statements
- Have confirmed, at the time of application, funding from all other sources, including government and non-government (non-government funding must represent at least 50 percent of the proposed project costs)
- Are requesting no more than $3.5 million in WINN support
Changes project to project.