Value: 50% of eligible costs up to $200,000.
The SMART Green Program is open to small- and medium-sized manufacturers throughout Ontario. The program will improve the competitiveness of the Ontario manufacturing supply chain by not only delivering value to the SME-eligible manufacturers, but also by contributing to Ontario’s 2020 targets for GHG emissions reduction. The purpose of this Program is to support investments in technology and process improvements by manufacturers which result in GHG emissions intensity reductions and/or avoidance through upgrades to process/production equipment, deliver energy efficiency, and lead to productivity improvements, which in turn lead to lower GHG emissions on per-production-unit basis; more specifically, where improvements will include new process and/or production equipment installation and associated costs to an existing facility. New building and/or new production lines where an existing process is not being upgraded or replaced will not be considered.
- Manufacturers must be located in Ontario with a minimum of 10 full time employees
- The Program targets small and medium-sized manufacturers with annual greenhouse gas emissions under 25,000 tonnes per year
- Manufacturers who are participating in or have opted in to Ontario’s Cap & Trade Program are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply for SMART funding
- Applicant companies must be financially stable incorporated businesses with 3 years or more operating history in Ontario
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need for the funding, i.e., without a SMART Program grant, the project would fail to meet a desired hurdle rate/payback timeframe
- Companies must be engaged in manufacturing as their primary activity (as indicated by their North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code), which is defined as:
- Funding is available for NEW projects only and must not begin until a contribution agreement is signed by both the applicant and CME. SMART will not accept an application where the project has been started and/or commissioned to start. For clarity, any equipment or materials that would be purchased as part of the project has been ordered or delivered, the project would not be eligible for the program
- Technical assessment
- Capital projects
Deadline: Application intake opened on October 31, 2016 and will remain open until all funding has been committed.
Contact: SMART Green Program | 1-877-913-4263