The Western Diversification Program (WDP) is the main program through which Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) makes strategic investments in initiatives with not-for-profit organizations that enhance and strengthen the economy of Western Canada. Through its Inclusive Innovation Agenda, the Government of Canada is dedicated to building on three core priority areas:
- People – developing Canadian talent and the workforce of tomorrow
- Technology – fostering leading-edge technologies
- Companies – growing world-class companies and accelerating growth
WD works to advance these priority areas by making strategic investments in supports and services that enable western Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), including Indigenous businesses, to be more innovative, productive, more export-oriented, and to create good quality jobs.
- Industry associations, economic development organizations, cultural organizations, and societies
- Post-secondary institutions
- Hospitals and regional health care centers
- Indigenous-led not-for-profits and organizations which may include but not limited to First Nations as represented by their Chief and Council, Tribal Councils, Indigenous Representative Organizations, Métis and Inuit organizations and Settlements as well as First Nation/Métis Settlement wholly-owned businesses where all profits accrue solely to the First Nation/Settlement to benefit community members
- Municipal Governments and organizations created by them
- Federal Crown Corporations (Treasury Board Secretariat will be consulted prior to any funding decisions for Federal Crown Corporations)
- Provincial Government Departments, agencies and Crown Corporations (although eligible within the WDP Terms and Conditions, WD would require an Order in Council to contract with these organizations. As such, any projects would be considered on an exceptional basis)
Contributions will be made to projects that support the development and diversification of the western Canadian economy, and activities where economic and/or employment benefits accrue primarily within Western Canada.
Deadline: Currently closed. Future deadline February 2018.
Contact: WD – Edmonton Region | 780-495-4164 | email@example.com