Business Scale-up and Productivity (BSP) supports high-growth* businesses that are scaling up and producing innovative goods, services or technologies. It offers interest free repayable funding to incorporated businesses.
*A high growth business can be defined as any for-profit company that has notable and/or consistent revenue increases year over year. Typically, this means an increase of at least 20% year over year.
The BSP program is open to incorporated high-growth businesses that have been operating in western Canada for a minimum of 2 years. Preference may be given to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with less than 500 full-time employees (FTEs).
Businesses must meet the following mandatory criteria:
- high-growth business that is scaling up and producing innovative goods, services or technologies
- incorporated to do business in Canada
- have been in business for at least 2 years in Canada
- have staffed operating facilities in Western Canada (defined as British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba)
- have confirmed, at the time of expression of interest submission, funding from all other sources, including government and non-government (non-government funding must represent at least 50% of the proposed project costs)
Eligible projects will focus on accelerating and supporting business growth through one or more of the following activities:
- Productivity Improvement: includes acquiring, adapting, and adopting new technologies and processes; process re-engineering; improving manufacturing capacity.
- Business Scale-up: includes market development or expansion, adopting best management practices, processes and systems; business opportunity development.
- Technology Commercialization: includes late stage product development to grow and diversify markets, as well as technology showcasing and technology demonstration. (Technology Readiness Levels 7-9 as defined by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada)