ValueThe funding is a non-repayable contribution.
Clean technology is a $2.5 trillion opportunity and we want Canadian companies to compete and be world leaders. At SDTC, we’ve invested over $1.28 billion in 450 Canadian companies since we launched in 2001. And we want to do more. We’re transforming how we do business, so we can move at the speed of business.
SDTC provides funding to promising clean technology development and demonstration projects that are start-ups or scale-ups. For instance, when the technology itself is beyond proof-of-concept but is pre-commercial. The technology must demonstrate the potential for GHG emissions reductions, reductions in water consumption and/or the reduction of water, soil or air contamination. The project must include some further development of the technology, mitigate existing technology risk and include validation of the economic viability of the technology.
The companies we currently fund are showcased here and provide a good idea of the broad scope of projects we have funded.
- A Canadian company with a defined project
- A strong end-user value proposition
- The potential to attract a consortia partner to validate the market need and
- Demonstrated environmental and economic benefits for Canadians
SDTC typically provides:
- Funding on average 33% (up to 40%) of eligible projects costs
- An average contribution of $2 million to $4 million, with funds disbursed over the life of the project up to a five-year period.
To be funded by SDTC, a project:
- Must obtain a private-sector contribution of at least 25% of eligible project costs.
- Cannot include funding from other government entities that in its totality is greater than 75% of eligible project costs.
- Must incur at least 50% of its eligible project costs within Canada.