Value$1.26 Billion + in funding over five years. Funding requests of $10million+
Strategic Innovation Fund supports Canada as a top destination for businesses to invest through five Streams:
- Stream 1: Encourage R&D that will accelerate technology transfer and commercialization of innovative products, processes and services;
- Stream 2: Facilitate the growth and expansion of firms in Canada;
- Stream 3: Attract and retain large scale investments to Canada;
- Stream 4: Advance industrial research, development and technology demonstration through collaboration between the private sector, researchers and non-profit organizations; and
- Stream 5: Support large-scale, national innovation ecosystems through high impact collaborations across Canada.
- Streams 1,2 and 3
- For-profit corporations incorporated pursuant to the laws of Canada and proposing to carry on business in Canada.
- Stream 4
- Consortiums that may include Canadian universities, colleges, research institutes, for-profit corporation and/or not-for-profit entities. The Lead Applicant must be incorporated pursuant to the laws of Canada, and carry on business in Canada.
- Networks ─ the Lead Applicant must be a not-for-profit organization incorporated in Canada.
- Stream 5
- Networks ─ the Lead Applicant must be a non-profit or for-profit organization incorporated in Canada.
Further considerations regarding eligibility can be found on the link indicated below.
SIF projects are assessed based on the potential benefits to Canada, including: the creation and commercialization of new intellectual property in Canada; development of new and improved products, services or processes; collaboration between post-secondary institutions, NGOs, indigenous communities and other private sector firms; and significant R&D creating technology with the potential for market disruption.
Eligible costs are limited to non-recurring costs that are specifically related to the project, including:
- direct labour
- overhead (program limits apply)
- subcontracts and consultants
- direct materials and equipment
- other direct costs
- land and buildings
Repayments will be performance-based and reflect a risk-sharing approach. Non-repayable contributions will only be considered for eligible activities that demonstrate strong economic, innovation and public benefits with clear strategic value or global significance.
Contact Name: Invest in Canada