The WorkBC Wage Subsidy program covers a part of employee wages so employers can hire job seekers and provide work opportunities. Both unemployed individuals and employers in B.C. can benefit from WorkBC Wage Subsidy.
- All unemployed residents of B.C. who are identified through a WorkBC Centre or an employer-identified job seeker may be eligible to participate in this service.
An employer must:
- Be a registered business in B.C.
- Be compliant with all applicable legislation including, but not limited to, the Employment Standards Act, Workers Compensation Act, Income Tax Act (Canada) and the Employment Insurance Act (Canada)
- Be at Arm’s Length from the WorkBC Employment Services Contractor and potential employee
- Offer a full-time position of approximately 35 hours per week, unless the client has a special need for fewer hours per week and this need is documented (these clients must be Case Managed Clients who are matched through a WorkBC Centre)
- Offer Insurable Employment, as defined by the Employment Insurance Act (Canada)
- Offer a position where the job and work are primarily done in B.C.
- Not fill a position vacant because of layoff (other than by filling it with the laid off person, unless that person declines the position)
- Confirm that the client is not an existing employee of the employer or if the client is an existing employee, that they have been laid-off and are being recalled
- Confirm the client would not be hired in the absence of a Wage Subsidy
- Confirm that no workers will experience reduction in hours or be laid off as a result of the Wage Subsidy placement
- Offer the likelihood of long-term employment or provide needed work experience to enable client to achieve long-term employment elsewhere
- Pay reasonable, competitive wages that are reflective of the prevailing wage rate for the position
For WorkBC Clients
• First 8 Weeks: 50% subsidy (up to $500 weekly)
• Second 8 Weeks: 25% subsidy (up to $250 weekly)
• Final 8 Weeks: 15% subsidy (up to $150 weekly)
For Priority Clients
• First 8 Weeks: 75% subsidy (up to $750 weekly)
• Second 8 Weeks: 50% subsidy (up to $500 weekly)
• Final 8 Weeks: 25% subsidy (up to $250 weekly)
Contact Name: Government of British Columbia
Phone Number: 250-952-6914 or 1-877-952-6914 (toll-free)