The Alternative Land Use Services Program is designed to increase environmental sustainability by providing financial incentive to agricultural landowners to establish or maintain Beneficial Management Practices (BMPs) on agricultural land and/or for the removal of targeted environmentally sensitive land from agricultural production. The focus of the ALUS Program will be to prevent soil erosion and siltation of watercourses and wetlands, improve water quality, and enhance wildlife habitat in targeted areas beyond those covered by PEI’s regulations on agricultural practices.
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and other Indigenous Organizations who are owners of agricultural land; and
- Owners of agricultural land.
- Retirement of sensitive land
- Expanding buffer zones (could add area beyond regulated 15m);
- Establishing non-regulated grassed headlands; and
- Retiring high-sloped land.
- Land under conservation structures;
- Maintain livestock fencing adjacent to watercourses and wetlands; and
- Delayed hay cutting of long-term forage fields.
Deadline DatePlease click the link indicated below for update.
Contact Name: PEI Department of Agriculture and Land
Phone Number: (902) 368-4880
E-mail Address: ALUS@gov.pe.ca