Indigenous Services Canada’s (ISC’s) Housing Support Program (HSP), formerly known as New Approach for Housing Support (NAHS) Program, supports First Nations in British Columbia to better and more effectively leverage funding, develop housing plans and policies and manage housing in their communities.
There are 2 separate HSP applications. First Nation applicants complete the relevant application(s) which support the housing priorities in their community:
- Governance and Capacity Application – Supports the creation of housing policies and plans, as well as training and capacity development.
- Housing Support Program Application – Provides a subsidy towards new home construction or purchase, regular and health and safety renovations and is inclusive of building inspection costs. Also provides a flat rate towards the construction of multi-unit (3 or more units) residential homes, which includes site preparation, building inspection costs and project management costs.
- First Nations
- First Nation councils
- tribal councils
- authorized band-housing authorities
- block-funded First Nations although eligibility is subject to ISC BC Region’s Access to Additional Capital Guidelines for Block-Funded Recipients
- self-government and treaty First Nations although eligibility is subject to the terms of their fiscal financial agreements
ISC BC Region’s Housing Support Program provides a range of eligible activities for First Nations applying for housing funds. This includes training, capacity building, renovations and new home construction on-reserve.
Contact Name: ISC BC regional office
Phone Number: 1-800-567-9604 or 604-775-5100
E-mail Address: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1460572397817/1533297381547