ValueThe maximum total grant funding an applicant can receive from the Program is $250,000 per project per fiscal year of the program term.
The Agriculture and Food Sustainability Assurance Initiatives Program supports industry associations and industry-led non-profit assurance initiatives to develop and enhance sustainability certification or assurance systems. These certifications and systems demonstrate to the public the quality, safety and sustainability of products produced by producers and food companies.
Eligible applicants include:
- an industry-led non-profit assurance initiative;
- an agricultural group registered under the Societies Act, such as an applied research/forage association;
- a commodity group;
- an incorporated not-for-profit organization; or
- a post-secondary institution.
One or more of the following activities related to the development and/or enhancement of sustainability certification or assurance systems are eligible for funding and may be included in an Application:
- benchmarking studies including life cycle analyses, environmental foot-printing and gap analyses;
- short-term funding for operating costs related to pilot studies, audits;
- development of governance;
- administrative support directly associated with the Project;
- promotion of label and certification standard associated with the sustainability assurance initiative;
- support for industry organizations to develop sustainability assurance programs; and
- support communication efforts regarding consumer perceptions, verification standards, BMPs and performance metrics.
Deadline DateAll year round
Contact Name: Alberta Department of Agriculture and Forestry
Phone Number: 310-FARM (3276)
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org