Farm Water Supply provides technical assistance and incentive for the creation of a Long Term Water Management Plan at the farm level and financial assistance for active producers to improve their water supply security and more effectively manage on-farm water resources.
Producers, corporations and not-for-profit organizations with an active agricultural business in Alberta and a minimum of $10,000 of farm commodity production income are eligible. An eligible on-farm water project can be located on private land, rented land and certain types of Crown land subject to prior written approval from the landowner. The land on which a project is completed must be located in the Province of Alberta and must be actively farmed by the person applying for the grant at the time the project is completed.
Standard Incentive projects
- Water supply development and conveyance projects, including construction of water sources such as wells, dugouts, spring developments, dams, pipelines, and connections to a multi-user water supply pipeline.
- Water protection projects, including aeration systems and off-source watering systems and monitors.
- Projects are eligible for reimbursement of up to one-third of expenses, to a maximum of $5,000 per applicant.
Special Incentive projects
- Well pit conversions, water level measurement devices and wetland assessments for the purpose of properly planning and siting a water source are eligible for reimbursement of up to 50% of expenses, to a specified maximum per applicant or project.
- Well decommissioning is eligible for reimbursement of 50% for each well, up to a maximum of 20 wells per Applicant.
- Water use meters are eligible for reimbursement of 50% per water meter, up to a maximum of 10 water use meters per Applicant.