Valueup to $7,500 Incentive
The Youth Internship Incentive Program is designed to increase the number of employers supporting work-integrated learning internships in trades, technologies, and in-demand occupations. By providing a financial incentive for employers, this program will expand an employer’s ability to achieve their goals as well as to enhance opportunities for youth that align with Alberta’s skilled worker needs. Supporting employers who are new to offering CAREERS internships, supporting existing employers to expand their ability to provide more internships, and supporting employers across the province are the key targets.
- Operate in Alberta and include businesses, non-profit organizations, municipalities, and Indigenous community organizations.
- Are incorporated by or registered as a legal operating organization in Alberta.
- Provide a safe work environment including COVID-19 protocols (reference: https://www.alberta.ca/ occupational-health-safety.aspx)
- Demonstrate a willingness to support long-term employment for successful candidates after the internship concludes.
- Designate strong mentors to support youth learning about the industry, the career opportunities, technical skills, and soft skills.
- Employers can apply for three (3) funding incentives per location within October 1st to September 30th of the following year.
- YiiP payments will be provided to employers at the conclusion of the minimum required hours.
- Funding can be utilized to offset expenses incurred in providing a work integrated learning experience including:
- Student Wages
- Safety Training Requirements
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) directly related to the student’s position
- Mentorship Support
- $900 INCENTIVE
Employers must commit to a minimum of one student for 125 hours of on-the-job training, mentorship, and experience.
- $1,800 INCENTIVE
Employers must commit to a minimum of one (or more) student(s) for a total of 240 hours of on-the-job training, mentorship, and experience.
- $4,000 INCENTIVE
Employers must commit to a minimum of two (or more) students for a total of 480 hours of on-the-job training, mentorship, and experience.
- $7,500 INCENTIVE
Employers must commit to a minimum of three (or more) students for a total of 720 total hours of on-the-job training, mentorship, and experience.