- Certain sectors get these more than others: agriculture, environment, technology
- If you’re not in those sectors, check this out or bail all together on looking for an equipment grant: https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/programs/strategic-innovation-fund.html
- Next Grant Writing Seminar waitlist is available. Check out the video testimonials from past students here: https://albertabusinessgrants.ca/grant-writing/
I should have written this post a year ago. Two years ago.
I get asked a lot about equipment grants, so I want to break it down. The short and simple answer is that some equipment grants exist for certain industries more than others.
Value Added Products to Market
Value: cost-shared basis to cover Eligible Expenses for approved Projects up to a maximum of $500,000 per Applicant per Fiscal Year. Eligible Capital Expenses shall be cost-shared at 25% grant and 75% Applicant; and b) Eligible Non-Capital Expenses shall be cost-shared at 50% grant and 50% Applicant.
This Program targets Projects that enable growth of their businesses through increased sales related to the development of New Products, adoption of state-of-the-art processes, commercialization of products in New Markets, and expansion of their business in local, domestic and international markets.
Eligible activities include:
- Processing Capacity Expansion
- Product and Process Development
- Label and Package Development
- Market Development
- Export Preparation and Planning
- Product Demonstration
- Bio-Industrial Processors
- Food Processors
Deadline: Ongoing. There will be 1 to 3 submission deadlines per year for this program.
The first application submission deadline is August 22, 2018. Completed Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on this day in order to be considered for funding and assessed. **Please check this website regularly for submission deadline updates**
All applicants should be notified of the status of their application within four to six weeks of the application submission deadline.
GRANT TIP: NOTE THAT MOST GRANT AGENCIES ALLOW UP TO 50% ELIGIBLE EXPENSES. WHEN EQUIPMENT IS THE ELIGIBLE EXPENSE, THE ELIGIBLE AMOUNT USUALLY DROPS TO 20% GRANT.
Now let us take a look at the technology side. The first technology grant that I ever wrote was also one of the most challenging: Alberta Innovates Product Demonstration Program. Wow, was it a complex grant, but we won!
TECHNOLOGY EQUIPMENT GRANT
Product Demonstration Program (PDP)| Alberta Innovates Technology Futures (AITF):
Value: AITF’s investment is in the range of $100,001 to $300,000, which is paid to either the Applicant or the Project Partner named in the Application, depending on the structure of the Project. The applicant must enter an agreement governing the investment of 50% of the Project Costs of the project.
The PDP is designed to support technologies in the more advanced stages of development, focusing on TRL 7-9.
Funding is for:
- Technology optimization critical for market acceptance
- Manufacturing of a prototype for demonstration project
- Applications for regulatory approval and certifications critical for market acceptance
- Testing of a prototype in an operational environment
- Results assessment/verification of technical data
- Be a SME
- Demonstrate why AITF’s support for the Project is necessary for success
- Exist as a provincially, extra-provincially or federally registered corporation which has legal status to operate on a for-profit basis in Alberta, and which retains a significant physical presence in Alberta
- Show evidence of adequate operational capital and sound financial resources to develop and/ commercialize the innovation or technology
- Be able to provide evidence of the viability of the technology or innovation and its market value
- Be an advanced technology-oriented business developing innovative new products for growing markets
- Have a plan for applying the research results, and marketing or exploiting products or processes in the best interest of the Applicant and the Alberta economy
- Does not have an outstanding balance or otherwise owe money to any Alberta Innovates organization, subsidiary, or partner
- Satisfy due diligence searches by AITF, as further outlined in Section 5,1
- Mandatory attachments are the Business Plan, Financial Statements, and Source of Funds
Contact: Shirley Sin | 780-450-5221 | Shirley.Sin@albertainnovates.ca
You will also want to check out the Alberta Innovates $100k voucher as well.
ENVIRONMENT EQUIPMENT GRANT
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA):
Value: Up to 50% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $10,000,000.
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) invests in and propel promising technologies that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions along the path of innovation from idea to market. Our plans are big and our vision is ambitious.
Examples of potential areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Process improvements (combustion, catalysts, water treatment, etc.)
- High efficiency equipment (motors, pumps, compressors, etc.)
- Waste heat utilization and low carbon industrial heat
- Fuel switching, electrification, and alternative feedstocks
- Digital optimization and automation
- Industrial carbon conversion/utilization
- Industrial transportation and logistical optimization
- Technology developers
- Industrial associations
- Small and medium sized enterprises
- R&D organizations
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Government research labs
- Salaries, benefits, and labour costs
- Administrative and overhead expenses directly related to the project
- Capital assets
- Materials and supplies
- Attendance at conferences to a maximum of $2,500
- Travel expenses
Deadline: See website
Contact: Emissions Reduction Alberta | 780-417-1920 | firstname.lastname@example.org
OTHER EQUIPMENT GRANTS
One last point, I get asked a lot about equipment grants for industries outside of these three sectors. I direct them here: Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF) | Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED): https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-science-economic-development/programs/strategic-innovation-fund.html
Join the grant writing waitlist here: https://albertabusinessgrants.ca/grant-writing/
p.s. Keep smiling!