ValueThe requested budget should be in proportion to the scope of the proposed project and should be at or under $800,000 USD in direct costs over four years. A maximum of $200,000 in total costs may be requested per year.
The purpose of the ‘A’ Award Grant is to advance ALSF’s mission to find cures and better treatments for childhood cancers by providing support to early career scientists who want to establish a career in pediatric oncology research. The ideal applicant has an original project that is not currently being funded. Demonstration of a future commitment to pediatric cancer investigation as well as institutional support for the career development of the investigator are critical components of a successful application. A mentor is required, and a career development plan must be included. The ‘A’ Award is a four-year grant, with the possibility of a 5th year of funding.
- Applicants must have an MD, PhD or MD/PhD (DO, MBBS or equivalent). For 2021 applicants, they may be within 6 years of their first faculty appointment as an Assistant Professor. Associate and Full Professors are ineligible. If still at the Instructor level, the applicant must have a commitment from the Department Chair/Division Chief at the time of grant submission for an Assistant Professor position within one year of receiving the award.
- A minimum of 75% of the applicant’s time during the ‘A’ Award period must be allocated as protected time for all research activities. This percentage of time includes both ‘A’ Award activities and the applicant’s other research responsibilities.
- Applicants may have research grants from other funding sources during the ‘A’ Award period, but there must be clear documentation of mechanisms to avoid scientific and budgetary overlap.
- Applicants currently holding an ALSF Young Investigator (YI) Grant may apply. If the ‘A’ Award is given, it would supersede the YI grant if there is an overlap in the funding periods.
- Applicant institutions may be based in the United States or Canada, and applicants need not be United States citizens. Funds must be granted to nonprofit institutions or organizations.
The requested budget should be in proportion to the scope of the proposed project and should be at or under $800,000 USD in direct costs over four years. A maximum of $200,000 in total costs may be requested per year.
- ALSF adheres to the NIH salary cap for principal investigator(s).
- Indirect costs are not allowed.
- The grant may not be renewed; no-cost extension requests are allowed.
- Other budget items may include the following: fringe benefits, travel, supplies, and equipment under $10,000. ALSF funds cannot be used for tuition remission.
If utilizing a subcontract or subaward, you must include this expense in the budget.
- No indirect costs will be paid.
- The PI’s institution is responsible for disbursing funds forsubawards and/or subcontracts.
Deadline DateJune 18, 2021.
Contact Name: Gina Dyer, Grant Coordinator
E-mail Address: G.Dyer@AlexsLemonade.org