Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Commemoration Fund will support Indigenous organizations to work with families, survivors and/or communities to develop and implement commemoration initiatives.
The objectives of the Commemoration Fund are to:
- Honour the lives and legacies of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls and LGBTQ2S individuals; and,
- Increase awareness about missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls and LGBTQ2S individuals.
Eligible organizations are legally constituted:
- Indigenous organizations; and,
- An Indigenous organization is an incorporated organization that represents First Nations, Inuit and/or Métis interests and is controlled by members of the population it serves.
- Indigenous governments, including band councils, tribal councils and self-government entities, and their agencies, and hamlets.
- For Indigenous organizations, it is the organization’s responsibility to provide a valid incorporation, registration or business number to the Department for verification.
- Families and survivors of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls must be engaged during the entire process.
Eligible activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Events that contribute to healing by acknowledging those who were murdered or went missing and bringing people together to share and support one another.
- Examples include, but are not limited to: banquets, talking circles, potlatches, closing ceremonies, healing circles, welcome home ceremonies, lecture series and art or music workshops.
- Legacy items that leave a legacy or educate people about missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, including LGBTQ2S individuals.
- Examples include, but are not limited to: community monuments, plaques, cairns, totem poles, murals, and not-for-profit films or books.
- Coordination and support of commemoration initiatives.
- Development and implementation of region-wide or nation-wide commemoration initiatives, e.g. gatherings for remembrance and healing.
Deadline DateDeadline: March 28, 2019, Please click the link indicated below for update.
Contact Name: Government of Canada
Phone Number: 1-866-902-2719 (toll-free)
E-mail Address: email@example.com