ValueMaximum of $20 million
The Surplus Food Rescue Program is part of the government of Canada’s emergency response to the current COVID-19 crisis. It will provide an opportunity for non-profit and for-profit organizations across the supply chain to bid on significant volumes of surplus products at the cost of production or less, processing them where necessary for longer shelf life and distributing to food serving agencies.
Applicants under this program may be eligible to receive a maximum of $20 million unless the organization can make a case to move commodities in all categories.
Eligible applicants consist of not-for-profit and for-profit organizations (benefits must accrue broadly) and include:
- Community or charitable organizations
- Indigenous groups
- Regional and municipal governments and agencies (can include schools or school boards)
The program is open to any organization type (including industry) who is able to demonstrate that they have established a network of partners across the supply chain, and can move significant quantities of surplus food.
Note: Eligible applicants must be legal entities capable of entering into a legally binding agreement.
- Eligible products will be horticulture, meat, and fish and seafood.
- surplus food items from producer, processors, wholesalers or distributors,
- processing or packaging costs when necessary for food shelf-life
- transportation costs within Canada, including trucking or air freight and
- warehouse and storage rental costs, including refrigerated storage
- Those that handle the full logistical requirements needed to move surplus commodities through the entire value chain as quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively as possible. This means covering the essential steps of acquiring product at wholesale cost, processing, transporting as well as ensuring the shelf-life stability of surplus products, resulting in the least amount of food waste.
Note: Projects can cover one or more commodities, depending on the demonstrated ability to manage all requirements for said commodities.
Deadline DateJuly 31, 2020
Contact Name: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Surplus Food Rescue Program
Phone Number: 1-866-367-8506
E-mail Address: email@example.com