The objective of the Indigenous Agriculture and Food Systems Initiative is to increase economic development opportunities of Indigenous Peoples and communities in Canada. This initiative will support Indigenous communities and entrepreneurs who are ready to launch agriculture and food systems projects and others who want to build their capacity to participate in the Canadian agriculture and agri-food sector.
Through this initiative, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) aims to contribute to the Government of Canada’s commitment to reduce barriers for underrepresented groups and focus on building Indigenous Peoples’ capacity to succeed in agriculture.
- Indigenous communities and governments (includes band and tribal councils, governments of self-governing First Nations, local governments of Inuit communities and Métis organizations)
- Indigenous for-profit and not-for-profit corporations, associations, cooperatives and institutions
- Indigenous businesses, partnerships and joint ventures
Types of eligible projects
Projects under the initiative must be for the benefit of Indigenous Peoples and communities in Canada, as well as the Canadian agriculture and agri-food sector. Examples of agriculture and food systems projects that may be eligible for funding through the Indigenous Agriculture and Food Systems Initiative include, but are not limited to:
- supporting an approach to producing fresh food within an indigenous community, and helping to plan and design the means in which that agricultural production can occur
- developing a food system within an Indigenous community to access healthy food, while also providing an opportunity for Indigenous Peoples to share their agricultural knowledge and experiences, and market and sell their agriculture products
- providing skills training that will help an Indigenous community or organization establish or scale up an agriculture operation
Deadline DateDue to the high demand for the initiative, applications will be accepted until July 31, 2021, for projects to be completed on or before March 31, 2023.
Contact Name: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Indigenous Agriculture and Food Systems Initiative
Phone Number: 1-866-367-8506
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org