ValueMaximum $150,000. The business shares 25% of the total project costs and NRC provides up to a 75% contribution with payments as milestones are reached.
The Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP) is designed to help companies to develop technologies and successfully commercialize them in a global marketplace. It provides advisory services, funding, and networking for qualified small and medium-sized enterprises in Canada. Eligible companies can apply for financial assistance under the following programs:
- Technology Innovation Projects
- Youth Employment Strategy programs
- Be a small and medium-sized enterprise in Canada, incorporated and profit-oriented
- Have 500 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- Have the objective to grow and generate profits through development and commercialization of innovative, technology-driven new or improved products, services, or processes in Canada
NRC IRAP provides funding to support research and development projects at various stages of the innovation cycle. In 2018‑2019, NRC IRAP was mandated to expand its support to include an increased funding threshold of up to $10 million for larger research and development projects. This increased funding support will make it easier for small and medium‑sized Canadian businesses to access the support they need to grow and expand their companies.