The Canada Council for the Arts distributes payments to over 17,000 Canadian authors annually through the Public Lending Right (PLR) Program as compensation for free public access to their books in Canadian public libraries. The Canada Council works with the expertise of a permanent advisory board, known as the Public Lending Right Commission, to define the program’s criteria and promote the program among eligible authors, illustrators and translators.
- An author or co-author
- An illustrator or photographer
- A translator
- An anthology contributor
- An editor with an original written contribution
- Canadian citizen (living in Canada or abroad) or have Permanent Resident status
- There are no more than six contributors to the title (excluding editors and translators, but including illustrators and photographers)
- Your name appears on a given work’s title page or copyright page or, for an anthology contributor, in the table of contents. Your contribution to the book comprises at least 10% of the length of the book
- Works of poetry, fiction, drama, children’s literature, nonfiction or scholarly work
- Printed and electronic books (ebooks) with a valid ISBN
- Books that are at least 48 pages in length, or in the case of children’s literature, at least 24 pages for ebooks, the book page count is based on the PDF version
Deadline DateBetween February 15 and May 1 annually.
Contact Name: Public Lending Right Program
Phone Number: 1-800-521-5721
E-mail Address: email@example.com