This program helps First Nations with the costs of local government and with administering services funded by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC). It provides a stable funding base to support effective community governance and the efficient delivery of services.
Any First Nation (“Indian band” as defined by the Indian Act, RSC, 1985) whether or not they are located on a reserve.
The maximum funding available for each band is determined by the following seven components:
- population according to place of residence (on-reserve and off-reserve population) as of December 31 of each year
- total number of cases per month in the income security program
- number and value of federal, provincial and territorial agreements
- value of major capital projects
- number of specialists required to deliver the services funded by INAC
- type and value of the basic services funded by INAC (such as education, income support, economic development, infrastructure, band management)
- geographic index (location based on remoteness and environmental conditions)
Deadline DateVaries by region between January and March 31 of each year.
Contact Name: INAC regional office
E-mail Address: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1100100016936/1534342668402