ValueThe CCUS RD&D Capture focus area is open to R&D projects that request between $500,000 and $2,500,000 (comprising up to 75% of total project costs) and demonstration projects that request between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000 (comprising up to 50% of total project costs), both over a period of up to five years.
Currently closed to applications – Carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS) provides an important pathway to emissions reductions for energy and industrial activities under conditions where neither electrification nor low carbon fuels are able to provide technically or economically feasible low-carbon solutions.
As part of Budget 2021, the government is investing $319 million over seven years into research, development, and demonstrations to advance the commercial viability of CCUS technologies. These funds will support businesses, academia, non-profits, government, and federal laboratories on the path to net-zero emissions by 2050.
The CCUS RD&D Capture focus area is open to:
- Legal entities validly incorporated or registered in Canada, including:
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations such as electricity and gas utilities, electricity system operators, transmissions owners and operators, companies, industry associations, research associations, and standards organizations
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- Community groups
- Canadian academic institutions
- Provincial, territorial, regional, and municipal governments and their departments and agencies where applicable
It is expected that the entity that will sign a contribution agreement with NRCan will be the majority owner of any assets purchased in full or in part by funding provided by NRCan.
Focus Areas & Timelines:
- Capture: To drive down the cost and enhance performance of capture technologies for different emission sources.
Status: Expression of Interest closed October 3, 2022; applications currently under review.
- Storage/Sequestration: To characterize and develop safe, permanent sub-surface CO2 storage to support planning of cost efficient storage opportunities across Canada.
Status: Expression of Interest closed April 17, 2023; applications currently under review.
- Utilization: To expand the strategic uses of CO2, and support the development of cost and energy efficient utilization pathways.
Expression of Interest: Opening fall 2023.
Deadline DateOpen and closes. Watch its website and sign up for its notifications. One is opening fall 2023.
Contact Name: Energy Innovation Program (CCUS)
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org